Monday, March 14, 2011

Chocolate from Peru

I’ve now been in America for 2 months. This is a third of the time I’ll be here. Highlights include Uganda, Chick-Fil-A, Chipotle, the community in our office, tie Tuesday, flannel Friday and skiing the mountains. I have, however, come across a few odd things and misunderstandings since I’ve been here. There are certain words which don’t translate correctly or aren’t used here. 

Merican words:
Grill – don’t ask to grill your toast
Pants – makes for huge misunderstandings/ funny conversations
Neat- more than just tidy
BBQ – I still don’t see the difference
Tea – sweet, and cold – just not the same
Soda, pop, coke – all refer to the same thing – fizzy juice
Legit – better than legal
Just kidding – the person is exempt from any harmful actions following what they just said. If in doubt after a talking, will definitely get you out of trouble.
Football – not football
Hockey – not played in a field
Cookie – a biscuit which may or may not be a cookie
Biscuit – scone like, still a little confused about this one.
Do what? – do... what?

UK words:
Keen – term for enthusiastic, not to be confused with body parts
Class – another way of saying “sweet” or “awesome”
Poor – pronounced “purr” but still has the same meaning
Rubbish – not just the trash, similar meaning to poor
Football - football

*Open to suggestions of additions


Any reference to Britain or Ireland causes many Americans to fall into some sort of strange accent attempt. This is generally embarrassing/ fun.

In other news:
John came back into the office today, he's been in Peru the last week. He brought us all back chocolate from his trip. My hero.
St. Patricks Day has been renamed to St. Phillys day – a definite highlight.






















Roads

If the road is long, it must have some worth
The paths may weave nay wind some but your feet are on earth
Should you look back what is it you’ll see
But a road that looks straighter than you thought it would be
If you think you are leading do not be misled
But think you are leaving you have more left to shed
If it isn’t the journey, it’s nothing at all
The road is much steeper, I’ll be there if you fall

 
Renewal

What if I gave up all that I own
Stopped and gave time to those I disown
No razor again to touch my face
What I have now is life only by grace

Do I go here and there, lacking a plan
Or wait, still and patient for the works of his hand
Sweet novelty it may at first be
But how long do I tread in this self-made poverty

I pray as I dream that my life is your will
That I end life with nothing, zero, nada, nil
To do so I must give up my idols
Get on my knees and pray for revival

No comments:

Post a Comment